28 Apr The ultimate Mother’s Day with inspiring Mom Entrepreneurs
With so much happening in the world right now and our days starting to all feel pretty much the same, I am sure many of you may have forgotten that Mothers’ Day is almost here.
To celebrate the special day, I have asked some supermoms who run their own businesses (while juggling children), all about their ultimate Mother’s Day.
See our interviews with these inspiring working moms: Juliana Vasconcelos from OlaByJuliana; Nathalie Habib from Blush, Dr Nicole Kanaris from Medaethetique, Suzie De Carvalho from ForevaV, Dr Theo Mothoa-Frendo from USO Skin, Lara Viera Poipão from My Bebe and Kate from K’LEA handbags.
These female owned businesses have created beautiful products or services that I absolutely adore and think you would too.
So here’s to making Mother’s Day special – even if you (or your significant other) have to purchase these items after lockdown – it’ll be worth the wait, I promise!
JULIANA VASCONCELOS, OLA BY JULIANA
- What is your ultimate sleep-in travel destination? My ultimate sleep-in travel destination is a beach holiday facing the ocean. Nothing like waking up, watching the waves and listening to the sound of the ocean. The Maldives have been my favorite place for relaxation so far.But since becoming a mom, we don’t have much of the chance to sleep in on holidays, right? Hahaha
- Dream breakfast in bed? I loveeeeee breakfast in bed but I’m always the one making my husband and I breakfast in bed 🙂 I always add some fruits and one of my favourite treats is the Fournos bakery chocolate croissants 😍
- How do you wind down for bed at night?I’m a human of habits and I love going to bed early, unfortunately the kids give us quite a hard time to sleep and by the time I finish with them, I just want to get to bed and chat to Janez, sometimes we enjoy to watch some series 🙂
- What is your favourite Mother’s Day memory? My favorite memory from Mother’s Day was when Vincent started kindergarten and I got those personalized gifts he made me. Was so sweet and beautiful and I couldn’t contain my tears.
- What’s the best thing about being a mother? The best thing about being a mother is the unconditional love and being selfless. My kids brought me the most meaningful reason to live.
- Best advice for moms managing children and work? You are super women!
To not be so hard on themselves and also find time for them whenever they can.
I find myself very guilty when I’m traveling for work or very busy with orders. But we all have obstacles and it’s very rewarding to do something for ourselves and not just live and breathe for our kids.
- What have you hinted at hubby as a gift for Mother’s Day this year? I haven’t hinted anything yet, with the current situation and the chaos we are going through I even forgot Mother’s Day is around the corner.
- What item should every mom have on their wish list from Ola by Juliana? The gymwear we bring from Brazil is something every mom must have, the quality is outstanding and it’s super comfortable for everyday running around. I personally live in gymwear everyday.
NATHALIE HABIB, BLUSH
- What is your ultimate sleep-in travel destination? Paris
- Dream breakfast in bed? Crumpets, bacon and maple syrup
- How do you wind down for bed at night? Meditate with the Calm App
- What is your favourite Mother’s Day memory? My very first Mother’s Day with Alessia
- What’s the best thing about being a mother? The powerful bond and indescribable love that exists between my daughter and I
- Best advice for moms managing children and work? Do not measure yourself against the ideals of motherhood and parenting portrayed on social media. This will rob you of so much joy
- What have you hinted at hubby as a gift for Mother’s Day this year? PJ’s
- What item should every mom have on their wish list from Blush? A personalised Blush Box that can be stored as a keepsake
DR NICOLE KANARIS, MEDAESTHETIQUE
- What is your ultimate sleep-in travel destination? Greek Islands
- Dream breakfast in bed? Pancakes with berries
- How do you wind down for bed at night? Read a book
- What is your favourite Mother’s Day memory? My whole family together, including my maternal grandmother, mother, my aunts and their families!
- What’s the best thing about being a mother? Tucking my kids into bed and hearing all their exciting things that happened during the day
- Best advice for moms managing children and work? It is possible, you will feel like you always chasing your tail but it’s worth it in the end!
- What have you hinted at hubby as a gift for Mother’s Day this year? I’d love a big family get together, I’ve missed everyone so much. Just want lots of hugs!
- What item should every mom have on their wish list from Med Aethetique? The incredible Zo medical facial!
SUZIE DE CARVALHO, FOREVAV
- What is your ultimate sleep-in travel destination? A Hotel in a small village
- Dream breakfast in bed? Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day! SO if I could pick anything, it would definitely be anything with Nutella!
- How do you wind down for bed at night? I always end off the day with a nice relaxing bubble bath. Catch up on my social media for the day, do a little reading or TV time with Hubby and then I’m lights out!
- What is your favourite Mother’s Day memory? My absolute favourite memory would have to be my first Mother’s Day, 2 months after I became a mommy. My husband printed me all the pics we had ever taken of Eva (and as a newborn we had tons already) he then put them all in an album and gave it to me with a brand new watch.
- What’s the best thing about being a mother? The best thing would have to be, knowing that I have my little best friend for life… that I get to be her mommy, to guide her, help her through life and offer her the best childhood she could possibly ask for and that I get to be part of all of that.
- Best advice for moms managing children and work? I have always said it… take it one day at a time. Everything has a time and place. Its so easy to get caught up in one or the other but balance is always key. So if you can’t get everything for work done in one day, give yourself that break and just be the mommy you need to be for your children at that time… work will always be there waiting for you.
- What have you hinted at hubby as a gift for Mother’s Day this year? Well this time round it’s abit harder, considering lockdown and The Covid-19 saga. And if there’s one thing that this pandemic has taught me, is that material items really don’t mean much… So this year I would just want a good breakfast in bed (cue Nutella), some flowers and both my people with me… nothing better.
- What item should every mom have on their wish list from ForevaV? Oooh that’s an easy one…. It would definitely have to be our mommy and me signature bracelets, they can be personalized with any name and an added birth stone to make it all the more sentimental. They are also available in White Gold, Rose Gold and 9ct Gold. Just the perfect gift for any momma this Mothersday.
DR THEO MOTHOA-FRENDO, Uso SKIN
- What is your ultimate sleep-in travel destination? Right now, during the lockdown, my bed at home! In general- anywhere with great white linen and a view of the ocean!
- Dream breakfast in bed? Avocado on toast with some Mint Tea!
- How do you wind down for bed at night? My days are usually packed and I always find that our bedtime story session relaxes me and forces me to switch off from the world- I get to catch up with my daughter. Priceless.
- What is your favourite Mother’s Day memory? Receiving the first Mother’s Day card created by my daughter. That brought tears to my eyes. Every year I look forward to this!
- What’s the best thing about being a mother? The unconditional love, the kisses, the hugs and being each others cheerleaders!
- Best advice for moms managing children and work? Know that you are doing your best. In this digital age it is easy to succumb to outside pressures on being the perfect Mom, the perfect Business woman, essentially a superwoman. That does not exist. Know when to ask for help.
- What have you hinted at hubby as a gift for Mother’s Day this year? No hints necessary here, I love surprises and he is very good at that!
- What item should every mom have on their wish list from Uso Skin? Absolutely our award recognised 05 Active Day Cream with SPF 30. It is a double duty anti-ageing day cream with sunscreen that leaves no grey! One of the products we are most proud of!
Lara Viera Poipão – My Bébé
- What is your ultimate sleep-in travel destination?As most of my family know I’m a busy body so I rarely sleep in late. Traveling for me is mostly about waking up early, so we can get going and sight seeing. In this case to answer your question, I think the ultimate sleep-in destination for me was Timamoon in Hazeyview. My husband took us last year for our 8 year anniversary and let me tell you it was so beautiful, relaxing and so secluded. That was definitely a place to just relax, sleep in late and chill👌
- Dream breakfast in bed? I don’t really do breakfast, nor in bed but my ideal breakfast is when I walk down the stairs in the morning and my husband has made us all a full English breakfast.
- How do you wind down for bed at night? I generally read some sort of material next to my bed and then cream my hands religiously every night as they are always so dry. I also like to watch a good series, generally period films and jotting notes in my notebook to plan the day or week ahead..
- What is your favourite Mother’s Day memory? When Milénna was 9 months old, my first mothers day since she was born, I woke up to her in her cot standing up with a heart board in front of her saying, ” Best mommy ever” and a bunch of burnt orange rose’s all inside her cot…..obviously organized by my husband.It was so beautiful and I will always remember that day.
- What’s the best thing about being a mother? The best part about being a mother is that little voice saying….”Mommy”. I still cant believe these little people came from my husband and I. They change a marriage for sure, but definitely for the better. Often Dennis and I just laugh at their little questions and answers, too cute. Unconditional love!
- Best advice for moms managing children and work? I think the key to running a small business and having kids is being very organized! Oh and let’s not forget lazy as I know with me, choosing not to have a domestic worker, running around with two small kids and still trying to balance a small business can be hectic. Luckily for me having my mom on board and her magical hands, it’s been a scenario of two heads, and in this case more hands are better than one. So sitting down and planning our each individual roles and parts in the business was also crucial to its success.
- What have you hinted at hubby as a gift for Mother’s Day this year? Being with same man for 18 years makes it easy. Its either a beautiful piece of jewelry or a perfume. How could you go wrong? Oh and let’s not forget a day at a day spa too!
- What item should every mom have on their wish list from My Bébé? I personally feel, especially every new mom that has chosen to breastfeed should own a breastfeeding cloth. My Bébé offers a choice of many beautiful different prints that are suited to all mommies.The fabric used is all 100% cotton, cool, lightweight, breathable and fully washable.Our product gives you and your baby the privacy you need while breastfeeding. Something new moms tend to forget about buying, for themselves when doing their shopping before baby comes.
My Bébé has taken into consideration the uneasy times that mothers are going through at the moment, having to give birth all alone, without family members being able to visit and in some cases their partners not allowed to visit or stay. They will be giving 10 new breastfeeding cloths, to new moms in the maternity ward at the Linmed Hospital, as they believe that these new mommies need all the support and help they can get through these very hard times.
- What is your ultimate sleep-in travel destination? My Parents house – it’s on the beach and I have access to 24/7 reliable babysitters which allow for afternoon naps and the ULTIMATE sleep in
- Dream breakfast in bed? Coffee (sadly not a breakfast person)
- How do you wind down for bed at night? *blush* love a junky series on Netflix that I have watched a million times (friends/gossip girl being my all-time favourites)
- What is your favourite Mother’s Day memory? My first mother’s day as a mother. We didn’t do anything out of the ordinary – coffee in bed with flowers & a simple lunch date with family make the best days for a special occasion. But there was this new “proud and special” feeling I had on this day – which made my first mother’s day my favourite memory.
- What’s the best thing about being a mother? That unconditional and all-consuming LOVE you have for your children.
- Best advice for moms managing children and work?Never ever think there is any magic rule to managing children and work. (every day is different). Never compare yourself to anyone. Find time for yourself everyday!!! (The work/parent juggle is real and the balls will drop if you don’t find time for yourself). Simple things that work for me:
-My morning gym routine before the kids wake up
-Have a bath on my own (must be quiet)
To be able to send the kids upstairs (and yes front of the TV sometimes) then have a glass of wine with QUIET and just “stare” for a few minutes Painting! (but this is only something I have started up again in lockdown, hope to continue when we get back to work instead of watching junky Netflix series
- What have you hinted at hubby as a gift for Mother’s Day this year? I just like the idea of my kids and hubby making me feel extra “special” on Mother’s Day😊 Drawings from my kids and then a little spoil from hubby to say thank-you. Something for me – bath & beauty products are always a win.
What item should every mom have on their wish list from K’LEA? The K’LEA genuine leather Clutch, super versatile for day & night; with or without babe
Wishing all our Mama’s a beautiful Mother’s Day! May it be a special one, no matter what is going on around us. Comment below and let us know what your ultimate Mother’s Day is, or your best Mother’s Day memory. I’d love to hear all about it.
Stay safe, and sending love,